Sunday, February 8, 2009

Rex the orator

Rex's speaking skills have grown so quickly that I regularly find myself, mouth open, making startled eye contact with Glenn. The unspoken question is, "did I just hear what I think I just heard?!"

Usually the answer is "You sure did!"

I recently read that somewhere in the range of 18-24 months, most children will start stringing two to four words together. Well, let's just say that at nearly 22 months, Rex has that skill down. The child is using prepositions!

If you're not familiar with Goodnight Gorilla, it's a charming children's book in which animals help themselves to the zookeeper's keys, then follow him home to sleep in his bedroom. His wife, clearly accustomed to this behavior, wearily leads them all back into the zoo. There are almost no words in it, and like many such books, it's adored by kids. Yesterday I looked over to see Rex sitting with Glenn on the couch, "reading" the book to his dad. His pronunciation is still confusing, but we parents don't have much trouble translating the sounds into "elephant, lion, hippo," etc.

No comments: